Tuesday 27 May 2014

Rome - the free stuff!

Tuesday 27th May

We have finally worked our way to Rome and did not find the drive to be as bad as we were expecting. We are staying on the outskirts of Rome and the road from San Gemini brought us almost directly here. We arrived around lunchtime, parked the car, and hope not to take it out until we leave Rome at the weekend.
 
Just one of the small villages we passed on the drive to Rome.
This afternoon we headed into Rome via the bus, train and metro and first went to the Spanish Steps. We couldn’t believe the crowds of people there – I hate to think how this will all be in a few weeks. We climbed to the top of the steps – and watched the African guys selling glasses, handbags, balls, etc pick up their stuff and run when the police arrived. It is amazing to see and feel the smoothness of the steps as they have been worn by so many feet over the centuries – in some places they were quite slippery.
 
The crowds of people in Rome - and it's not even summer.

And if you can see through the people,
this is the Spanish Step
s..


A well educated dog visiting the Spanish Steps.

Looking back down the steps.

From there we followed along with the tour groups to view the Trevi Fountain where I got my bum wet sitting on the edge of the fountain and making a wish. Not sure if mine will come true because I didn’t give it the solemnity that the guy next to me did, but I did make a wish. I couldn’t find any reference to the money value that was required for the wish to come true, so I threw big money just in case. The crowds at the Trevi fountain were also huge – it was hard to get the photos you wanted without extra heads in them.
 
And the people that weren't at the steps
were here at the Trevi Fountain
.


I threw big money in the hope that
it would make a difference
.

After that we wandered along and saw the Tempio Adriano, Pantheon and Piazza Navona with a short break for gelati. These are all places I had heard of and never thought I would get to see. It is incredible to think that these places/buildings have been here for so many years.
This guy was supposedly suspended in the air just holding
on to the upright post. I don't think so!! If there was no trick involved
then why did he have to get on and off his perch under the cover of a big curtain.
You've got to get up a lot earlier to fool me.

The Tempio Adriano

The Pantheon

Inside the basilica that is the Pantheon.

More Italian uniforms
- we are not too sure what these guys were guarding.

Not a striking column until you get up close and look at the detail.
See below. It probably tells a story of a battle won
- I will need to do some googling ro see what I can find.



We took the alternative route back to the hotel after stopping for dinner in town – the hotel we are staying at does not seem to have many restaurants around it so we hope to eat each night before heading back to the hotel.

No comments:

Post a Comment